Salzburg's summer in the hills
Authentic alpine culture in its purest form
Flower-filled mountain pastures, the pure silence, delicious culinary mountain inn treats and peacefully grazing cows: the Salzburg mountain landscape is an idyllic holiday region. During the summer on the hills around Salzburg you not only experience the finest hospitality at the Alpine mountain huts and sample regionally produced delicacies but also get an impression of the Alpine culture.
Alpine summer festivals
Throughout Salzburger Land, summer in the hills festivals invite you to get-togethers with a true folk flavour where you are indulged with authentic culinary treats, from tasty Kaiserschmarrn to herb bread and smoky bacon.
The Hochkönig region invites you to the following summer in the hills festivals:
- Herb festival on the Bürglalm on 03.07.2016 in Dienten
- Hochkönigroas umigschaut on 09.07.2016 in Mühlbach and Dienten
Hill farms on the Hochkönig
Get to know a wealth of mountain herbs that sprout on the pastures on a herb hike. The herb hill farms in the Hochkönig region pass on old wisdom and demonstrate in workshops how you can make juices, creams, spreads, schnapps and other things out of nature's green treasures. The Hochkönig region is also Austria's first holiday region that is certified as vegan. As a result, many of the alpine huts and businesses offer separate vegan options. Spoil yourself in typical Salzburg fashion with roast pork and dumplings or cheese gnocchi. The incomparable mountain panorama provides the icing on the cake.
The Salzburger Almenweg
More than 550 hill farms offering catering, roughly 170 of them meeting the "Alpine summer huts" certificate's criteria, await you throughout Salzburger Land. You can hike to many of them on the Salzburger Almenweg, which offers a hiking route of 350 kilometres in total. You can explore Salzburg's authentic mountains in 31 stages, just follow the gentian symbol.
Quality certified Alpine summer huts
Only hills farms or huts that meet the very special criteria are accepted into the list of outstanding Alpine summer huts. 22 mountain huts in the Hochkönig region alone are on this list.
The Alpine summer huts meet the following criteria:
- They are typical in appearance for the region
- The farms are staffed, with animals grazing nearby
- Guests are served either home-made products or products from regional suppliers
- The hut or hill farm can only be reached via hiking trails or cable car, if applicable also by transfer or taxi
- The hill farms or huts provide informational material about hiking opportunities
- Plenty of parking is available at the hike's starting point
- The hut meets prescribed hygiene standards
Have a good time during Salzburg's summer in the hills. The family-run Hotel Mitterwirt in Dienten makes its own contribution to your holiday experience. Make a non-binding enquiry about a room at the 4-star Hotel Mitterwirt on the Hochkönig!